Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mi sik blong sitsit woto


One of the common languages spoken in Vanuatu is the primitive yet logical language called Bislama. Along with English and French, most Ni-Vanuatu speak Bislama as well as their native village language. There are approximately 113 native languages in Vanuatu and it has the highest density of languages per capita in the world. I love Bislama. The little that I’ve learned just makes sense. For example, “Mi likim tumas” means “I like it very much.” “Tank yu” simply means, “thank you”. But our favorite is something I am unfortunately experiencing today (we think due to the birthday kava because four of five of us have some level of this). Mi sik blong sitsit woto. Sound it out. OK, it means, I’ve got diarrhea! Other illness phrases are Mi sik blong falldon. I have epilepsy. And Me sik blong suga. I have diabetes.

I love this language! But mi no likim sitsit woto!

Posted by Ann